Published on 6 May 2013
Greeting Citizens of the World,
Imagine your Father, Your Brother, Your Husband Arrested
Sold for a bounty.
Black bagged and sent away to a foreign country.
Tortured for years on end.
Accused of being a terrorist.
No trial or charge is given.
No lawyer is brought in.
No one is allowed to see him.
With no end in sight.
With no hope for justice, over 100 men who have been held and tortured for years have gone on a hunger strike. On May 18th, it will have been 100 days since they have eaten voluntarily. Prisoners have died suddenly, violently, and suspiciously. All inmates in Guantanamo Bay have been locked in solitary confinement. Some are being force fed, an international crime. These men face the prospect of a terrible death in prison despite many of them having been cleared for release years ago. One defense attorney has already committed suicide.
It is time for the Obama administration to admit that this is a disgrace for any civilized country which upholds the rule of law. Guantanamo Bay must be closed at once, and the prisoners should be either returned to their home countries or given a fair trial in a federal court. Guantanamo Bay is an ongoing war crime. Anonymous will no longer tolerate this atrocity.
We are outraged. We, the people and Anonymous, will not allow the most expensive prison on earth to be run without any respect for international laws. We stand in solidarity with the Guantanamo hunger strikers. We will shut down Guantanamo.
On May 17 to May 19, to coincide with the 100th day of the hunger strike, we urge everyone to join global actions on the ground and hacktivist protests as well as twitterstorms, email bombs, and fax bombs, in 3 days of nonstop action.
Call the White House: 202-456-1111, 202-456-1414
Call the U.S. Southern Command: 305-437-1213
Call the Department of Defense: 703-571-3343
Call your senators & representatives: http://congresslookup.com/
Sign the petition
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We are Everywhere.
We do not Forgive.
We do not Forget.
- 92 of 166 Guantanamo detainees on hunger strike: official (dawn.com)
- GTMO Hunger Strikes Intensify (centerforpolicyandresearch.com)
- Some thoughts on GTMO hunger strike strategy (centerforpolicyandresearch.com)
- Official number of Guantanamo Bay hunger strikers jumps to 100 (rt.com)
- “Guantanamo camp burns through $900,000 a year per inmate” (sentencing.typepad.com)
- Hunger strikers determined to leave Guantanamo, ‘one way or the other’ (tv.msnbc.com)
- The President & the prison camp (ilg2.org)
- Four Guantanamo Hunger Strikers Reported in Critical Condition (intellihub.com)
- 100 Guantanamo Hunger Strikers Now Recognized by Military (commondreams.org)
- Guantanamo Bay more expensive per detainee than a super-max prison (shortformblog.com)