Multiverse & Parallel WorldsPosted: July 9, 2012
Published on Jul 9, 2012 by Secretsocietiestoday
Theoretical physicist Brian Greene discussed ideas about the multiverse and parallel worlds, as well as a variety of cosmology topics. The scenario of a multiverse (that we exist in only one of many universes) was actually first proposed back in the 1950s by Hugh Everett at Princeton, but has only recently gained more traction in the physics community, he noted. According to this way of thinking, “our universe would be one flavor of universe in a spectrum of flavors that would have other physical features,” Greene noted.
In a scenario that there were multiple Big Bangs, different universes could be embedded in the same substrate but separated by an “inflaton field,” a kind of energy that gives rise to repulsive gravity, he explained. Understanding the issue via string theory, Greene said one could “think of our universe as a big huge slice of bread in a large cosmic loaf that has other slices of bread near by us. Now those other slices could actually be a tiny fraction of a millimeter away from us, but in another dimension,” so we can’t see or travel to them, and they remain hidden from us.
Yet we might eventually find evidence of a collision or interaction between parallel universes, he continued. Greene also explored the idea that our universe could be a kind of computer simulation, which exemplifies the idea that mathematics doesn’t just describe reality, but is reality. He is currently researching the idea that the extradimensional shape of our universe can undergo a dramatic change via the processes of quantum mechanics.
This video uses copyrighted material in a manner that does not require approval of the copyright holder. It is a fair use under copyright law.
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
- Neutrons escaping to a parallel world? (phys.org)
- Andrew D. Basiago | Project Pegasus / Teleportation / Time Travel & Mars Visitations (panoffolin.wordpress.com)
- Do you believe in the Multiverse? (computationallythinking.com)
- This Explanation Of The Multiverse Is Heavy But Delicious (gizmodo.com.au)
- Neutrons escaping to a parallel world? (eurekalert.org)
- Neutrons Might Be Disappearing Into A Parallel World (planetsave.com)
- This Explanation of the Multiverse Is a Heavy But Delicious Sunday Brunch [Video] (gizmodo.com)
- Landscape wars: David Gross vs Brian Greene’s PBS program (motls.blogspot.com)
- The Higgs boson ‘God Particle’ discovery explained in the context of conscious cosmology (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Quantum experiment could offer proof of a parallel world (mnn.com)
- Universes, multiverses and string theory (digital-diva.co.uk)
- Theoretical Physicist Brian Greene Thinks You Might Be a Hologram (wired.com)
- Aliens & UFOs – ALIEN GOD-VIRUS INVADES MULTIVERSE SIMULATION SHAM (disclose.tv)
- The multiverse in three parts: Brian Greene at TED2012 (livasperiklis.com)